Monday, June 14, 2010

Madness


Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" is out on dvd. We go to the movies maybe once a year, so I am one of those annoying people that wants to talk about movies months after they leave the theater!

Reading this story as a child, I was always fascinated with the Mad Hatter. There was a lot to like about this strange little man, who spoke in unanswerable riddles and was stuck in the time of 6:00 PM forever. There was also his whimsical appearance...his exaggerated facial features, the large polka-dotted bow tie, and the hat with the label reading, "In this style 10/6," which, by the way, means ten shillings and six pence...the price written in pre-decimalized British money.

Although I found the storybook character appealing, the Mad Hatter's random musings eventually drove Alice away from the tea party and she didn't seem to have any deep feelings for her quirky party host in the original book. Burton's film adaptation changed all this for me, or I should say Johnny Depp's portrayal of the Mad Hatter did. I was deeply touched by the tender moments shared between Alice and the Mad Hatter. Here are a few quotes from the movie to get your heart thumping (spoiler alert for those who have not seen it):

MH: Have I gone mad?
A: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But, I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.
(Like a bohemian romantic, she "gets" his madness and even appreciates him for it.)

MH: Your carriage, my lady.
A: A hat?
MH: Of course, anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.
(Now, that is some sexy transportation, ladies!)

A: Sometimes I believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
MH: That is an excellent practice
(Can they get any more compatible as a couple?)

Stayne, Knave of hearts: If you're hiding her [Alice], you will lose your heads!
MH: Already lost them.
(Okay, so this wasn't a moment between MH and A, but do you see the point? Courage and wit...what more could a girl want in her guy?)

MH: Still believe this is a dream, do you?
A: Of course. This has all come from my own mind.
MH: ...which would mean that I'm not...real.
A: Afraid so. You're just a figment of my imagination. I would dream up someone who's half mad.
MH: Yes, yes...uh, but you would have to be half mad to dream me up!
A: I must be then......I'll miss you when I wake up.
(*sniff*)

And, now for the last affectionate moment before Alice drinks the blood of the Jabberwocky and returns to life above the hole in the ground:

MH: You could stay
A: What an idea. What a mad, crazy, wonderful idea.
*they smile at each other*
A: But I can't.
(Ah, the tragedy of long distance relationships...they will probably always think of what could have been...or at least MH will. He is bound to the hopeless thought that Alice won't remember him when she comes back.)

Am I the only one who was swooned by the romantic elements of this movie? Maybe the extreme Florida heat is causing a little madness in me, but I will take Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter over Robert Pattinson's Edward Cullen any day!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Any Johnny Depp / Tim Burton combo is OK (in a BIG way) for me!!! Thanks for the thorough review!

Joanna said...

Great commentary! What does it mean if I relate to the Queen of Hearts during the toddler - tween years....."OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!" Ha!