Thursday, June 3, 2010

Already?


Yesterday, my daughter had her awards ceremony for 5th grade. She is officially finished with elementary school. How can this be? I remember so clearly, as if it was just last year, taking her for her first day of Kindergarten at the same school. The building looked huge and so did the older kids. She was intimidated about walking from the bike rack to her classroom, so the Vice Principal Mrs. Ford took her by the hand and they walked in together. Mrs. Ford continued this routine for a few weeks until my cautious newcomer felt confident enough to forge the trail on her own.

When I look at this school building now, I see years of growth for Eliza. Six years of mastering subjects, making friends, learning to get along with [insert mean girls' names here], singing in musicals, proudly displaying artwork...all of these experiences have shaped Eliza's character and hopefully provided her with wisdom to handle the middle school years.

I cherish the times I was able to volunteer or chaperone a field trip now and then. I lament the missed opportunities of not doing these things because of a sick child or a toddler to care for at home. It feels as if I have overslept and there doesn't seem to be time to cram in all the things I wanted to do.

Eliza is a follower of this blog, so since she is probably reading this...I just want to say that I am so very proud of you and even when we have our differences, I love you and consider myself blessed to have you as my daughter! You are a creative, kind, intelligent, thoughtful, and fun-loving girl. My favorite thing about you?

That you can be this poised, well-mannered lady when you need to be:










While underneath, lies this crazed, Cheese Superhero Woman!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Congrats to Eliza. Middle school is fun (and she'll still be the little peanut there for a while :-). Olivia and friends read my blog too - and yours, others.... I'll have to share this entry (Olivia is way behind in correspondence - had to take some Honors tests today - more next week - neverending when you get to high school, I guess :-). Plenty more ops for field trips, etc. - Enjoy yourselves, mother & daughter :-).