I am back after a long furlough! Why the break in blogging? Two reasons:
1. My last blog entry contained lofty goals of refurbishing my blog with a new look and title. After considering changes in the direction of my blog, I have come to the conclusion that there are a bajillion different subjects already covered on blogs all over the world. This lead to my blog identity crisis...I found myself asking why do I blog? Do people really care about the pumpkin bread I brought to the new neighbors or that our guinea pig died of unknown causes? Does anyone really read it? If they do read it, do I want them knowing my innermost thoughts/insecurities? This led me to the thought process in reason #2.
2. For as long as I could read and write, I have kept a journal. Not a diary with a lock, but certainly just as private. The addition of an audience or (gasp) my kids reading what I write just about wears out my backspace button while I am editing! Not that I am introverted or that I have dark secrets to keep, but when I go through pain or trouble in my life, I find myself being protective of my ponderings. Sometimes they seem too sacred to share with curious readers.
So, I am left with a decision to continue my blog and keep the deep stuff for my journal or increase the honesty and depth of my writing on occasion. I think the latter will help me grow more as a person and a writer.
Now, about the direction of Random House. I want to keep it random. Sticking to one subject is just too defined and limiting for my taste. I like the freedom of blogging on "girls' night out" one day and lessons learned in parenting on another. Who knows? Maybe I will eventually dare to publish one of the 5 drafts that I have deemed too private for this blog?
For now, I will leave you with a random picture of my daughter in her duct tape slippers.
So much for depth today.
2 comments:
Random baby - I think it's the way to go (I, too, keep deep, dark journals :-)! And... it's funny.... people do care about your blog - makes them feel like someone lives the life they do (someone said that to me once, so.. I'm quoting, I guess). I know a few people - one a stay at home mom of three and an old dance friend of mine - another a local friend going through a rough time now - and yet another from OU - who have all read your blog at one time or another :-). And LOVE IT :-). Anyway... cool - love that you're in yesterday's clothes, and - yeah - Olympics - I was trying to highlight for a bit in my blog, but... TOO MUCH going on right now - prefer to just watch. Regarding tonight, however - go Joannie! All the skaters are so likable, but I'm really pulling for her :-(. And... finally.... I actually know some people who create bags and all sorts of accessories from duct tape; I'll get you the url for your very creative fashionista daughter :-). Glad to have you back! Missed you!
OK -that Olivia comment was me, by the way. I keep answering on her gmail log-in since I have her checking lately for lacrosse and high school updates, etc. (I hear, next year, she is on her own sometimes regarding important messages - mommy can't always check email :-).
Post a Comment