Ahh...summertime...sleeping a little later, moving a little slower, actually finishing my coffee before it gets cold in the mornings. We are in full summer swing, which has provided some blogworthy stories for me to share...
Story #1
So, there we are, hubby and I, deep in REM sleep at 2:00 AM. "Ouch," Ron says, as he awakens suddenly to a pain behind his left knee. First thought was that it might be my toenail. It had been awhile since my last pedicure, but my toes are not that gnarly! Second thought: Poisonous spider? Better check. Lights on, covers lifted up, and a large scorpion scurries across the sheets, disappearing under the bed! After 15 minutes of searching, we locate the scorpion, who is hiding in between the mattress and box spring. As Ron holds up the mattress, I mutilate the body with several slaps of a pink flip flop. Ron does a quick internet search, then returns with an announcement: "Florida scorpions are not poisonous and if I were allergic, I would be foaming at the mouth by now, so I think I'm good." Every night since: sheet check before bed!
Story #2
Youngest child tries out for swim team...no skills needed as long as he can propel in any fashion 25 meters without holding onto the wall or sinking. Success, he makes the team! First week of practices, he learns freestyle. No problem, he's got the arms circling, he's moving forward. Second week of practices, he is taught backstroke. Big problems...he's got the arms circling, but instead of moving backwards, he is sinking. First meet, our child is signed up for backstroke. Can he scratch? "No," the 19 year old coach says, I don't believe in "I can't." Will he do it for a treat? Sure, he will do anything for a treat. Flailing and barely staying afloat, he finishes 3 minutes behind everyone else. Hope those Razzles were worth it! More practices, including private ones with Dad. Second meet, our child does a brilliant backstroke, wins his heat, and returns with this statement, "I don't know what happened, Mom, I was terrible at practice, but I won at the race. I guess God helped me swim fast."
Swim team fee: $100
Swim team suit: $25
Swimming/life lessons: Priceless
Story #3
The life span of guinea pigs is somewhere around 5-7 years. FuFue and George, being 2 1/2, we figure they have at least a few years left. A few days ago, I notice Fu lying around a little more than usual, but with three children, one with more pressing medical needs than a subdued guinea pig, I get distracted and don't worry too much about it. Last night, we notice Fu is more than lethargic. He is lying on his side, unable to eat or drink. When he does try to move, he has trouble standing up. We prepare the kids for his passing. Lots of tears. A long night, but Fu finally passes away this morning. A family funeral, burial in the backyard. More tears. 10 year old daughter moves on and is all about the multiple craft ideas she plans to do in memory of her beloved Fu. 6 year old is still in mourning. Does not eat much, he's too sad. Lots of questions about death and heaven. He has a hard time when it rains this afternoon since he knows Fu is out there. His ideals about life have changed due to the death of a small rodent. I guess we have to start somewhere. I think I prefer the life lessons in the last story. Death is hard.
Note: The guinea pig on my blog template is our survivor George. RIP Fu!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LOVE your stories - love'em. Well... except for the scorpion one. A little creepy - that one :-). Sorry about Fu. George is lookin' good, though. I'll have to let Olivia read the swim team one; we have friends who have a little swimmer who has been paddling down the pool since she was 3 (older siblings on swim team). Fun to picture your little one (albeit a little older) workin' that backstroke.
Post a Comment