Cancer...I think I was 8 the first time I heard the word. Two of my neighbors, both under 40, had it and eventually died from the disease. I remember being afraid of cancer because it was something that adults whispered about and people died from. I secretly hoped that a cure for cancer would be found by the time I became an adult.
My childhood dreams of a cancer cure could not have been more dashed than in the past 3 years, in which I have personally known 3 people touched by the disease...a beautiful young girl named Casey who danced in my daughter's dance class, passed away on Mother's Day in 2007, after a long brave battle with brain cancer. That same week, Steve, our friend and devoted husband of my friend Lauren, had to say goodbye to his wife and two young girls, as he died of melanoma at the age of 42.
Then, this year, one of my closest friends and 5 AM walking partner was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. I am thrilled to report that after a long year of chemo, radiation, and two major surgeries, she is in remission! I pray she will continue in her healing and live many more years to see her children's children grow up!
As an adult, I understand the physiology of cancer better, but it is still just as difficult to understand the spiritual side of this disease. I struggle to grasp the concept of why these friends of mine have had to suffer while there are so many horrible people in the world who will probably live out their lifetimes to the fullest in seemingly perfect health.
I watched the most profound video last night and want to share the link www.deathisnotdying.com. The woman in the video is named Rachel Barkey and on March 4, 2009, what started out as a speaking engagement for 40 women from her church, blossomed into an event attended by over 600 women. The video is 55 minutes long, but once you start listening, she will have you captivated and the time will fly by! I laughed, cried, and was inspired as I listened to her explain how it is that she can serve and trust in God, despite having terminal cancer. I cannot explain how it will change and challenge you...you just have to hear this incredible message!
So, click on the link, turn up your speakers, and fold some laundry while you listen. You won't be disappointed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
SO glad to hear about your friend. I'm glad she is in remission and recovering. As you know, I have a couple of sad cancer stories in my recent past (as you do too in reading your post), and... I am REALLY just so happy to hear a joyful story. Best to your walking buddy (many more walks ahead and... like you said... time and love and happiness with her children).
Oh - and thanks for the link. I am going to click and watch - when I have the time and... well.... strength ... to do so. As you know too well, those of us touched by cancer are never the same.... good and / or bad....Anyway - thanks - sounds like it will be inspirational. The spiritual side of all that transpires - all that we learn - all that we grieve - is difficult to comprehend, isn't it?
Post a Comment