
My husband and I have been wanting for years to invent a limousine type window behind the front seat of our minivan. Wouldn't that be fun? When the kids are loud and crazy, push the button and zip...all you see in the rear view mirror are mouths moving, but no noise! But, if I had it closed too much, I might miss out on conversations from the backseat such as these:
6 year old: "Mom's hair looked different when I was born. It looked curlier."
10 year old: "Yeah, it was kind of frizzy back then...no offense, Mom."
[The straightening iron was the best thing that ever happened to my hair that rises right along with the humidity levels]
10 year old, to her friend on the way home from dance class: "You know those tapes we have to do our tap warm ups to? Well, my Mom used the same ones when she was little...that is how old they are."
Then, 10 year old to me: "Not that you are old, Mom...just the tapes are."
[For those with a background in dance and who are as "old" as I am, you probably know the ones she referred to. "Shuffle hop toe, shuffle hop toe, shuffle hop toe, ball change, turn..."]
6 year old: "Mom, where are we going?"
10 year old: "Shh...don't ask...I think we are going to play games at Ollie Koala's."
6 year old: "Mom is the best Mom in the whole earth."
[I'll bank that compliment to balance out the other times when I am told I am the meanest Mom that ever lived]
I could go on with more, but you get the idea. These backseat conversations provide a glimpse into the random thoughts that go through the minds of my children. Someday, I hope they will appreciate all the rides from this old, frizzy-haired limousine driver, who if given the chance, would probably opt to keep the privacy window open most of the time.
1 comment:
You know... I have heard that dancers do not get old -they get better AND they never sweat - they glow.... Tell that to your backseat drivers ;-) - though I've got nothin' for the frizzy hair thing.... BTW - I was the "not good Mommy" recently because of ... um... ahem... an "incident" in Trader Joe's (I can't relive it - you'll have to read my post :-). Yours in chaos - S.
Post a Comment